With the overuse of antibiotics, antimicrobial resistance testing has been in the news a great deal. Contract Laboratory frequently works with pharmaceutical and healthcare companies on their antimicrobial resistance testing.
Antimicrobials are agents used to kill microorganisms or to restrict or inhibit their growth. Antimicrobials are grouped by the microorganisms they counteract such as antibiotics used against bacteria, and antifungals used against fungi.
Antimicrobials have been used for more than 70 years as a means of treating infectious diseases. These drugs have been so widely used that many infectious microorganisms normally killed by the antimicrobial, have morphed and adapted to the drugs, rendering them ineffective.
Antimicrobial resistance testing refers to the ability of a microorganism to resist the effects of the drug. This antimicrobila resitanceresistance often requires alternative and costly treatments. All microbes have the ability to become resistant to the drugs created to destroy them, and the use of antibiotics is the number one factor leading to resistance.
Incorrect dosing and duration of antibiotics, the use of antibiotics in food animals, and the spread of resistant strains of bacteria from one person to another, all have added to the antimicrobial resistance epidemic.
Contract Laboratory has worked with many pharmaceutical and healthcare companies on outsourcing their antimicrobial resistance testing projects. Below are some examples :
- EPA environmental toxicology laboratory needed for acute toxicology testing/ EPA PRIA Action Code #A532 for antimicrobial pesticide registration of a product, which is an Oil/Water emulsion.
- Bioscience company needs microbiology laboratory for antimicrobial research studies of Bacillus species against E. coli serotypes relevant for pigs, Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella enteritidis, Salmonella java, Clostridium, Campylobacter.
- Cosmetic company needs testing for antimicrobial effectiveness per USP 51, total microbial count per USP 61, and absence of pathogenic organisms per USP 62.
- Microbiology laboratory needed for microbial analysis: time kill test to ASTM E2315, Assessment of Antimicrobial Activity Using a Time-Kill Procedure Laboratory must have access to an emaciator blender
- Microbiology Laboratory needed for ASTM bacteria resistance testing on a lubricant according to ASTM E2275, Standard Practice for Evaluating Water-Miscible Metalworking Fluid Bioresistance and Antimicrobial Pesticide Performance.
- and more antimicrobial resistance testing requests
If your pharmaceutical or healthcare company needs a pharmaceutical microbiology laboratory to perform any type or microbiology or antimicrobial resistance testing, submit antimicrobial resistance testing requests online, or call us toll-free at 1-855-377-6821.