The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) is nonprofit organization developing voluntary standards with the intent to facilitate collaboration, enrich careers, allow knowledge sharing, and develop skills throughout the engineering community and across all engineering disciplines. ASME’s overarching goal is to help the engineering community “develop solutions to benefit lives and livelihoods,” and enhance public safety and public health while facilitating trade and market competitiveness. ASME currently has more than 130,000 members, 32,000 of which are students, and members come from 151 countries.
ASME standards cover topics from nuclear plants to elevators, and construction to performance testing, and more than 600 standards are currently in print. Standards are always being revised and developed by the 4,700 plus volunteers, including scientists, manufacturers, engineers, government officials, and other professionals.
ASME standards could also be called guidelines as they are voluntary and cannot be forced on any producer or manufacturer. However, standards help determine quality and criteria between a manufacturer and buyer. Standards also help ensure uniformity in products from different suppliers, making a baseline for safety that everyone in the industry follows, providing consistency.
Standards are always being developed and modified by ASME committees and subcommittees. Currently, ASME is working on two notable changes, one to the boiler and pressure vessel code, and another to elevator and escalator standards. To see the full listing of recently published standards, click here.
Contract Laboratory receives many requests from companies and manufacturers needing their products tested for compliance with ASME standards like the following:
- Third-party laboratory needed for testing an Inner Shield Wire (1.2mm diameter) to ASME SFA-5.20 standard, Safety in Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes
- LONG TERM. TESTING Petroleum laboratory needed for ISO and ASME Testing: of composite reinforcement to ASME PCC2/ISO 24817Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries — Composite repairs for pipework — Qualification and design, installation, testing and inspection, .
- Mechanical Laboratory needed for ASME Testing to ASME PCC-2, Repair of Pressure Equipment and Piping
- Industrial Consumable manufacturer needs mechanical laboratory for ASME Testing: Residue analysis of Developer, Remover and Penetrant and we want to test them.
- Physical Chemistry Laboratory needed for ASME Testing: Residue analysis Magnetic particle testing 1). 14AM 2). White paint Penetrant particle testing 1). Developer 2). Remover 3). Penetrant They are aerosol type and contained in can
- South Korea Mechanical Laboratory needed for ASME, ASTM, and NACE Mechanical testing of pipe to A522 Type 1. We will also need to have NACE testing to MR0175.
- USA Industrial Company needs ASME certified environmental laboratory for ASME clean water tests to determine DO transfer levels, BOD levels, and other Water Testing needs. Lab has to be ASME certified.
- USA Materials Laboratory needed for ASME Testing of Water vapour permeability according to ASME-E96, product Polypropilene NonWoven laminated with Polyethilene Breathable film
- Medical Device Manufacturer needs Florida product safety, medical device laboratory for NFPA Testing and ASME Testing to ASME PVHO 1, Safety Standard for Pressure. Vessels for Human Occupancy and National Fire Protection Association NFPA 99, Healthcare Facilities Code. One sample – Soft hyperbaric chamber – No specialized shipping or handling required.
- plus many more!
If you are in need of a laboratory to perform ASME conformity testing, let Contract Laboratory help! Call us toll-free at 1-855-377-6821 or submit your test request online!