It’s Easter weekend, and egg dyeing is in full force! Have you ever wondered about the safety of dyes and food color used on Easter eggs?
Food coloring, dyes, and additives are regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration. Egg dye is a food additive and as such, is regulated by the FDA’s Center for Food Sanitation and Nutrition. To be considered safe for use in food an additive needs to be GRAS, or generally recognized as safe. For an additive to be considered safe for consumption it must undergo toxicology and chemical testing. After testing, a petition is submitted to the FDA to add the substance to the Food Additive Status List.
Once additives have gone through required safety and toxicology testing, they are added to the list and are considered safe for human consumption. Easter egg dye kits have been tested and deemed safe by the FDA.
NEED FOOD ADDITIVES SAFETY TESTING ?
Are you a food additive manufacturer, retailer, importer, or consumer that needs more information or help finding laboratories to perform food additive toxicology or chemical testing? Visit the Contract Laboratory website, or call us Toll-Free 24/7 at 1-855-377-6821.
Contract Laboratory has helped companies acquire food additive testing, such as:
- Large food ingredient company needs ISO 17025 certified laboratory for aqueous HCl solution testing according to the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives
- Large food company needs food laboratory for food additives testing in beef burgers such as protein analysis
- Bioanalytical laboratory needed for protein analysis to test lactate levels in a hydrolyzed protein material
- Asia analytical chemistry laboratory needed for colorant testing such as Total monacolin content and citrnin content of Red Yeast colorant
- INDIA FOOD LABORATORY NEEDED FOR FOOD ADDITIVES TESTING TO TEST LIQUID FOOD COLORS AND POWDER FOOD COLORINGS, FLAVORS PRESERVATIVES AND INGREDIENTS SUCH AS , GLYCERINE, PROPYLE GLYCOL, STARCH, DEXTROSE, LACTOSE
- Europe Food Laboratory needed for food testing to international standards such as chemical testing of food additives
- plus more Food Color Dye Testing Projects!