Every year since 2004, the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a not for profit environmental organization, releases a report detailing the 12 dirtiest fruits and vegetables, dirtiest meaning most pesticide contaminated. The pesticides include any chemical used to kill weeds, insects, mold, and even rodents.
Of the 47 fruits and vegetables tested, strawberries were at the top of the list, labeled the “dirtiest” produce.
The Dirty Dozen 2018 includes:
- Sweet bell peppers
The fruits and vegetables on the “dirty dozen” list all contain higher residue concentrations of pesticides than other produce. Laboratory testing found that 70% of non-organic produce is contaminated with pesticides. Testing was performed on more than 38,800 samples by the US Department of Agriculture and the FDA.
When performing testing, the produce is handled, washed and/or peeled, similar to how a consumer would handle it. To determine how contaminated a fruit or vegetable is, the EWG looks at six different metrics including the number of pesticides on a sample and how much of the pesticide is on the sample.
When tested, strawberries had 20 pesticides found on them, while most produce tested positive for residue from at least one pesticide. Spinach had the largest amount of pesticide with 1.8 times as much as other crops.
Researchers suggest buying organic when possible and rinsing all produce for a minimum of 30 seconds as pesticides have been known to cause chronic health problems, especially in children.
In addition to the “dirty dozen” EWG also produces a list of the “cleanest” or least pesticide ridden produce. The “Clean 15” includes:
- Sweet corn
- Sweet peas frozen
- LONG-TERM TESTING Exporter needs Food Laboratory for pesticide residue testing service for our fruit export to various counties like USA, UK, Japan, EU, ETC
- Food Laboratory needed for I SO 17678:2010 or IDF 202:2010 fat content testing in butter type product which contains both milk fat and vegetable fat. We would like it to be tested for quantitative milk fat and total fat content. In other words, we would like to know how much is the milk fat out of the total fat.
- Food importer needs food laboratory for product development and FDA testing of dried fruit including nutritional and allergen analysis including a system of drying, preservation and packaging. As they are dried naturally and maybe predisposed to worms, the evaluation of special packaging materials and preservatives might be a concern. -NLEA 2016 -Allergen Analysis -Medical facts about the usefulness of the product for humans to be complied by FDA Regulations
- Vegetable oil producer needs Food Laboratory for acceptance testing of 3 different vegetable oils to pr-evaluate the customer acceptance of the product.before , during and after frying and test fried food using our 3 oils for – taste – color – aroma – smoke – foam —— taste of the food color aroma texture oil absorbation in food
- Food laboratory needed for accelerated shelf life studies on dry fruit, nuts and seeds product packaged in mono portion pouches of 55g each
- Food Laboratory needed for testing and certification of Non-GMO vegetable oils which will be recognized by Canada government.
- To compare the nutritional value of fruit processed in a blender under vacuum and one blended without the vacuum by normal blending of pressure, and efficiency of pressure of vacuum blender
- USA Customs approved and FDA registered food laboratory needed for testing dried fruit product prior to importation into the US market in Q1 if 2018.
- START-UP Small start-up business needs food / agriculture laboratory for comparison study of the nutritional content analysis of vegetables grown with new compost materials versus traditional farming methods.
- View more food testing at: https://www.contractlaboratory.com/outsourcing/laboratory-requests.cfm?industry=Food