Christmas! Hanukkah! Kwanza! While each are steeped in tradition and religious meaning, each has become associated with presents and gift giving. Colorful boxes, sparkly metallic ribbon, large amounts of tape, and patterned wrapping papers cover thoughtful holiday gifts to surprise the gift recipient. These festive wrappings often cover layers of manufacturer’s packaging such as: boxes, styrofoam, bubble wrap, plastic forms and packing peanuts. These packaging materials protect the products they cover from damage and help ensure the product maintains function and integrity.
Although these packaging materials get discarded with no second thought, there is actually quite a bit of thought that goes into their design before they are used on your holiday present. While most people think of packaging as fire starting materials or superfluous toys for dogs and kids to scatter around a room, in reality there has been much cost and testing associated with the materials.
Making sure your shipments arrive intact begins with the packaging. Many packaging testing laboratories perform real world packaging transport scenarios to test packaging technologies, as packaging needs to be able to hold up under many different conditions. Tests on packaging include vibration, shock, impact, strength, resistance, compression, and more.
Some of the packaging material testing standards include:
- TAPPI 811 Edge Crush Resistance – this tests the strength of cardboard corners with vertical fluting
- ASTM D642 Compression – this test determines compressive resistance of boxes and drums and measures the containers ability to resist the external compression
- ASTM D3332 Product Shock Fragility -this test determines fragility which helps determine the necessary cushion thickness
- ASTM D3580 Product Vibration – tests the ability of packages to maintain their integrity during vibrations
- ASTM D5276 Drop – this tests the packaging’s resistance to being dropped
Many other packaging testing standards exist defining how packages should perform. If you need packaging testing or research, submit a packaging test request on our website, or call us toll-free at 1-855-377-6821 today!
Packaging Testing Request
Contract Laboratory often receives Laboratory Test Request from companies needing laboratories for Packaging Testing. The following are just a few of the requests that we have helped outsource their packaging testing projects.
- Packaging Laboratory needed for semi-conductive/static dissipative L2 testing of flexible intermediate bulk containers) FIBC liner URGENT Packaging Laboratory needed for testing product’s packaging to ensure it adhere’s to North American Child resistant packaging standards. (i) Canadian Standards Association Standard CAN/CSA-Z76.1-M90, entitled Recloseable Child-Resistant Packages, published January 1990, as amended from time to time, (ii) European Standard EN 28317:1992, entitled Child-resistant packaging. Requirements and testing procedures for reclosable packages, as adopted by the European Committee for Standardization on October 30, 1992, recognized by the British Standards Institution, and effective February 15, 1993 and by the Association française de normalisation, and effective December 20, 1992, and which reiterates fully the international standard ISO 8317:1989, as amended from time to time, and (iii) Code of Federal Regulations (United States), Title 16, Section 1700.15, entitled Poison prevention packaging standards, as amended from time to time We are looking for a lab that can perform the tests on a rushPackaging Laboratory needed for DOT UN box design qualification testing. The packaging manufacturer shall achieve successful test results for the design qualification testing at the start of production of each new or different packaging.
- FDA cGMP packaging material testing laboratory needed for polymer film heat shrinkage testing
- LONG-TERM TESTING Large pharmaceutical manufacturer needs Packaging Laboratory to perform a USP container closure study performed to ensure the closure in place to USP <1207> Package Integrity Evaluation – Sterile Products
- Packaging Laboratory needed for child resistant package testing specific to flow-wrapped pouches
- LONG-TERM SERVICES Medical device company needs contract sterilizer for gamma sterilization and packaging of plastic disposable petri dishes.
- Large company needs packaging laboratory for lid seam testing on aluminum cans of carbonated beverages such as cola and sparkling to determine the psi at which the seam fails, and a seam breakdown analysis.
- Contract Sterilizer needed for the sterilization of plastic disposable petri dishes as well as specifications for their packaging.
View more of the projects that we have helped outsource Packaging Test Requests
Need a laboratory for flammability testing?
If you are a manufacturer or supplier of holiday decorations or other home decor and need independent laboratories for flammability testing, let Contract Laboratory save you time and money searching for a laboratory! Call Contract Laboratory today, toll-free at 1-855-377-6821 or Submit Laboratory Testing Request!
Originally posted 2017-11-29 16:05:28.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter