As recent headlines and recalls demonstrate, it’s important for the food and dairy industries to perform illegal drug residues testing. In early August, the FDA sent two North American Dairy Farms warning letters regarding the presence of illegal drug residues found in tissue samples of animals that were to be used for food. Both dairies were sent warning letters regarding the investigation and requesting action be taken to remedy the situation immediately, or they would risk regulatory action such as seizure and/or injunction.
The United Stated dairy industry is committed to producing safe, quality milk and dairy. Preventing disease among animals results in safe food for human consumption. Sick animals sometimes require prescription drugs, antimicrobials, through a veterinarian. These drugs, when used appropriately, should not leave residues in milk or dairy beef, and marketing or selling meat or dairy with residues, even if unintentional, is illegal. The USDA Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) conducts routine tests for chemicals, pesticides, and drugs in meat meant for human consumption.
To reduce the risk of finding tissue with drug residue, dairies should strictly follow treatment protocols and observe that withdrawal times are carefully followed. Additionally, dairies should ensure that only approved drugs are used, proper doses are administered, and treatment records are well maintained.
To ensure your compliance and the safety of your milk, dairy products, or meat, get your products tested! Call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit an online test request.
Contract Laboratory has helped many dairies facilitate their milk and dairy testing:
- Large Dairy company needs Europe food laboratory needed for Lead testing in Milk
- LONG-TERM TESTING Dairy needs USA Microbiology laboratory for Microbiological testing of cheese and butter and solids testing of concentrated whey. Nutritional tests. Environmental tests. Yeast & mold, coliform/e. coli, listeria, salmonella, staphylococcus, enterobacter, APC. Concentrated whey solids testing.
- Bioanalytical Laboratory needed for Analysis of recombinant bovine somatotropin in Ultra-High Processed UHT milk and possibly other dairy products
- Bioanalytical Laboratory needed for protein analysis to detect A1/A2 protein in our dairy farm’s cows.
- Agriculture food laboratory needed for dairy testing of Ploy dextrose in dairy base and soya base products.
- University Researcher needs laboratory for dairy products testing to evaluate their antibiotic and pesticide content.
- Laboratory needed for testing of dairy based chocolate vodka beverage. Alcoholic beverage formula requires testing to provide alcohol content, calories per serving size and further product breakdown to assist with product labeling and marketing efforts for Alcohol content Calorie level Fat% Sugar%
- and many more!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter