Last week, Contract Laboratory received a request from a company needing particle size distribution (PSD) testing. Particle size distribution is a measurement indicating the size of the present particles and the proportion at which they are dispersed in a powder, fluid, or other granular material.
Particle size distribution can alter the strength of the substance in addition to its reactivity. Understanding how PSD can affect your material or product is important to the product development cycle, processing, packaging, and the products overall success. Many different measurement techniques exist to determine particle size distribution, such as sieve analysis, air elutriation analysis, photoanalysis, optical counting, electro-resistance counting, laser diffraction, laser obstruction times, and others.
Particle size and particle size distribution in regard to soil is called gradation. Gradation influences how fast or slow water can move through the soil. Gradation is used to classify soils for engineering or agricultural purposes such as the design of dams, levees and even landfills.
Particle Size Distribution Test Requests
Below are a few of the test requests Contract Laboratory has received from companies or organization needing laboratories to perform particle size distribution testing or analysis:
- Materials laboratory needed for ISO testing of cleaning abrasive to ISO 11126-10 Standard, Preparation of steel substrates before application of paints and related products — Specifications for non-metallic blast-cleaning abrasives 2.Cleaning and Consumption Rates 3.Recyclability and Dust Generation 4.Embedment Quantification 7.Surface Profile Depth and Peak Density 8.Particle Size Distribution (Sieve Analysis) 10.Abrasive Hardness 11.Abrasive Specific Gravity
- UK geology laboratory needed for clay testing for suitability for end uses as clay bricks, tiles, ceramics etc. Scope of testing to include: Stage 1 An initial gradient firing on each borehole material (10 samples) to determine the firing temperature / colour related to each clay test piece after first milling to a suitable particle size range for clay brick manufacture. Stage 2 work scope The following tests will be carried out on the sample as received borehole material (10 samples): · Particle size distribution – to be determined using both the sedigraph and dry sieving method, to cover the full size range of particles from millimetres to microns.
- Geology Laboratory needed for ASTM testing: Analys of rock salt (sodium chloride) based on requirements of ASTM D632. Chemical analyses will include sodium chloride purity (%NaCl) and moisture, but sodium ferrocyanide may also be requested. Physical analysis will entail a sieve analysis on the rock salt to determine the particle size distribution.
- LONG-TERM TESTING Geophysical Laboratory needed for Particle Analysis: Particle Size Distribution by Laser Diffraction of Quartz, Fly Ash, GGBS etc. We require the Specific Surface area of the sample too, calculated by PSD analysis along with different D values and 1, 2 and 3 Sigma values as applicable and distribution results.
- Government Agency needs NABL certified materials laboratory needed for Tests on silica filler (commonly used in rubber products) 1) CTAB 2) DBP Structure 3) Pour Volume Distribution 4) Pour Size Distribution 5) Zeta Potential 6) Particle Size Distribution 7) Purity
- OECD GLP Environmental Toxicology Laboratory needed for Toxicology Testing Acute Oral Toxicity, AMES Test, Skin Corrosion, Skin Sensitization, In Vitro Mammalian Chromosomal Aberration Test (if AMES shows positive), In Vivo Mammalian Gene Mutation Test (if AMES shows positive); Eco-toxicological tests: Acute Fish Toxicity, Ready Biodegradability, Acute Daphnia Toxicity.and and Physicochemical tests: Physical Status, Water Solubility, Melting/Freezing Point, Boiling Point, Vapor Pressure, Octanol/Water Partition Coefficient, Density, Particle Size Distribution;
- University researcher needs environmental laboratory for soil analysis and water microbial analysis 1) soil physical particle size distribution test chemical, total carbon, minerals testing microbiological total fungal, bacterial and earthworm analysis 2) water microbiological analysis total fungal, bacterial and coliform determination
- and more!
Is your company or research organization in need of a laboratory to perform particle size distribution testing? Let us help! Submit your specific test request on our website, or by calling toll-free 1-855-377-6821!
Originally posted 2017-10-12 16:41:57.