Happy President’s Day!
On this President’s Day, Contract Laboratory thought we would feature some contributions that the Presidents of the United States have made to Science
- Thomas Jefferson – invented a clock that was powered by the Earth’s gravitational pull on cannonballs
- John Quincy Adams -developed a uniform system of weights and measures and astronomical observatory (what is now the U.S. Naval Observatory)
- Abraham Lincoln – signed a bill that created the National Academy of Science
- James Garfield – total math nerd, James Garfield developed a trapezoid proof of the Pythagorean theorem
- Theodore Roosevelt – dedicated naturalist and conservationist published ornithologist
- Franklin Roosevelt – put together a crack team that developed the world’s first atomic bomb — a scientific megaproject
- Harry Truman – he signed a bill into law that established the National Science Foundation
- Jimmy Carter – Science Degree from the U.S. Naval Academy that was trained as an engineer, he founded the U.S. Department of Energy
Originally posted 2017-02-21 00:32:34.