Imperative to the drug and product development process, toxicity testing exposes the toxic effects of products on living organisms. A substances toxicity can be observed through in-vivo and in-vitro tests which establish safe exposure levels. Toxicity testing is performed on many consumer products such as pharmaceuticals, pesticides, food additives, cosmetics, and more.
Toxicology is the science of studying effects and treatments of toxins and poisons and dates back as far as the 1500’s to Paracelsus, a physician and alchemist famously quoted as saying, “All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy.” Toxicity is the potential of a substance to cause harm or have an adverse effect.
Toxicity testing helps determine the toxicity level as well as the time it takes to see negative effects when exposed to a toxin. Two types of effects are observed, acute effects which occur rapidly from short-term exposure and chronic effects that occur after repeated long-term exposure.
Toxicity tests are performed to generate data about the negative effects on health or the environment. These tests are performed in vitro or outside a living organism on tissues, cell lines, stem cells, etc., or in vivo, using the whole living organism. Toxicological testing is important for the development of new pharmaceutical drugs and for identifying the potential of existing molecules.
Toxicity Test Requests
Contract Laboratory has received numerous requests from companies and organizations looking for third-party, independent laboratories to perform toxicity testing, such as the following:
- FDA GLP Medical Device Product Safety Laboratory needed for ISO 10993-1 biocompatibility studies for implantable bone graft substitutes (granules), xenograft (from bovine bone) and a biphasic calcium phosphate Cytotoxicity- Sensitization- Irritation or intracutaneous reactivity- Systemic toxicity- Subchronic toxicity- Genotoxicity- Implantation
- Toxicology Laboratory needed for several in-vivo and in-vitro toxicity studies to support REACH registration including: – In vitro skin corrosion (OECD 431) – Eye corrosion (OECD 437) – Skin sensitization (OECD 406) – In vitro gene mutation study (Ames test) (OECD 471) – In vitro cytogenicity study in mammalian cells (MNT) (OECD 473) – In vitro gene mut. study in mammal. cells (MLA) (OECD 476) – Acute toxicity, oral route (rats) (OECD 423) – Acute toxicity, dermal route (rats) (OECD 402) – Short-term repeated dose toxicity: 28 days, oral (rats) (OECD 407) – Activated sludge respiration inhibition testing (OECD 209) – Ready biodegradability (OECD 301) – Algae (OECD 201)
- Environmental Toxicology Laboratory needed for OECD Toxicity Studies on experimental insect repllent formulas and controls to OECD test 428 Percutaneous absorption of chemicals using live mammalian tissue.
- Preclinical Contract Research Organization CRO needed to perform in-vivo repeated-dose toxicity study by the epidural route
- Large organization needs consumer products laboratory for providing a variety of testing on clothing items and bedding material for chemical exposure, toxicity, and allergens
- GLP Toxicology Laboratory needed for Regulation 1107 compliant OECD toxicity testing on a botanical extract active substance
- Toxicology laboratory for EPA Certificate of Toxicity Testing prior to importing a chlorine based house cleaner into the US. This includes dermal, oral and inhalation studies.
- Agriculture biotechnology company needs EPA GLP environmental toxicology laboratory for 4 ecotoxicology studies for a botanical active substance under EU requirements: – Biodegradable test (OECD 301) – Chronic toxicity study on bees – Bee larvae brood study – Typhlodromus piry, Aphidius rophalosiphi, Chrysoperla carnea, Coccinela sectempunctata.
- Toxicology laboratory needed to conduct toxicity study according to OCSPP 850.1055 Bivalve acute toxicity test (embryo-larval)
- Plus more!
If you are in need of a contract laboratory to perform toxicity testing, submit a test request on our website or by calling 1-855-377-6821!
Originally posted 2018-01-23 06:11:29.