Toxicological Risk Assessment, or TRA, are tests or services done to determine the potential risks from exposure to hazardous materials and substances. Toxicological risk assessments are performed on specific products and/or ingredients to determine whether they will cause adverse affects on consumer health such as skin irritation, eye irritation, respiratory irritation, and overall sensitivity.
The four steps of TRA are: hazard identification – noting the potential health effects from exposure, hazard characterization – determining the potency level of a chemical or ingredient, exposure assessment – identifying how much of a substance may end up in the body due to duration and exposure level, and risk characterization – combination of the previous four steps to identify the severity of risk if exposed to a substance.
Product safety is one of the ation ofbiggest concerns producers have for their product. TRA is performed by toxicology experts to ensure the safety of both the product and its ingredients, testing for both synthetic and natural substances and evaluating their safety. Additionally, ingredients are tested to determine whether they will produce any adverse affects when combined with other ingredients.
TRA is not just performed on chemicals and ingredients, it’s also performed on medical devices, biopharmaceuticals, additives, colorants, and more. Additionally, when performing TRA, scientists will also determine the potential for misuse of the product or ingredient, as well as recommend any warning labels that a product should have.
Need a laboratory to perform toxicological risk assessment testing? Submit a test request by calling toll-free 1-855-377-6821 or on our website!
Contract Laboratory has helped facilitate many TRA test requests, some examples follow:
- Toxicology Laboratory needed for Toxicological Risk Assessment (TRA) for cosmetics.
- Toxicology consultant needed for toxicological risk assessment based on PDE calculations. Company would provide the data and is not looking for new experiments.
- Japan Toxicology Laboratory needed for Toxicology Testing: toxicological risk assessments (TRA)on chemical substances of toys or components of toys
- Large Toy Manufacturer needs Toxicology Laboratory for Toy Testing: Toxicology Testing Toxicological Risk Assessment (TRA) Based on the ingredients or bill of substances to evaluate or assess any hazardous substances involved on the materials. The requirement should be referenced to EU REACH,SVHC,2009/48/EC, Washington Children’s Safe Product Act or California Green Chemistry Act, etc.
- USA or Asia Toxicology Laboratory needed for Toxicological Risk Assessment of liquids, putties, pastes, gels, and powders that are found in common consumer products. This will be an on demand service based on our customer requests.
- Near Chicago Product Safety Laboratory required for Toxicological Risk Assessment for colognes and perfumes to satisfy paperwork requirement for EU-based distributor.
- USA Board Certified Toxicology laboratory required for Toxicological Risk Assessment test of our mixture. We sell shoe pods that remove odors from cleats and sneakers and we need a TRA of the mix.
- and more!