Summer is on its way and with the sun and the heat comes playing in the water to cool down! How can you be sure your device and technology can withstand the water? By getting the appropriate waterproof testing done on your product!
For electronics and other devices, most manufacturers use the IP (Ingress Protection) scale, which is a scale from 1-8. IPX1 is the least amount of waterproofing, meaning the item is not really designed to work under water or when wet. An IPX8 means the item of device can be submerged and still work properly, though the depth and time of submersion vary. For most electronics, an IP rating of 7 is used. This generally means the device is not meant to be submerged, but if it is and is immediately removed it should still function properly.
Standards for waterproof testing are ISO 20653 and IEC 60529. Each of these outline proper procedures and ratings for ingress protection testing. When products that are not waterproof get wet it can cause operation failure, corrosion, mold, electrical hazards such as fire or shock, or other physical damage.
Waterproof Testing Requests Received by Contract Laboratory
The following are test requests for waterproof testing we have received and helped facilitate:
- Laboratory needed for waterproof testing of medical alert device to International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) IP code rating IPX6.
- Materials laboratory needed for ASTM Testing for waterproofing of a membrane to ASTM C836, Standard Specification for High Solids Content, Cold Liquid-Applied Elastomeric Waterproofing Membrane for Use with Separate Wearing Course
- Consumer Products performance laboratory needed for waterproof testing for clothing. MIL SPECs or other standard industry tests.
- Accredited UK laboratory needed for construction building products testing of flexible sheets for waterproofing to BS EN 12691, Determination of resistance to impact BS EN 12730. Determination of resistance to static loading and EN 1847 for building products. Methods for exposure to liquid chemicals, including water
- California construction materials laboratory needed for ASTM waterproofing testing of liquid applied to foundations for – functionality – thickness – de-lamination/ adhesion – bubbling
- Asia Packaging Laboratory needed for Laboratory testing required for paper egg tray and its allowable limit for the following parameter: 1. Tensile strength 2.Compression 3. Waterproofness 4. Moisture
- and many more!
Need a laboratory to perform waterproof te-sting on your device or equipment? Visit contractlaboratory.com to submit a test request, or call us toll free at 1-855-377-6821!