HSV, or the Herpes Simplex Virus, is a viral infection causing cold sores or blisters usually on the mouth or genitals. Infections are categorized by the area of the body infected. HSV-1, also known as oral herpes causes blisters on the face usually around the mouth. HSV-2, known as genital herpes causes infections on or around the genitals.
The HSV is a communicable disease spread from person to person through direct contact such as sharing utensils, kissing, or sexual activity. HSV is often contracted from a person who isn’t showing symptoms. The infection often goes through periods of dormancy and flare ups can be brought on by fatigue, illness, trauma, menstruation, etc. It is estimated that 20% of sexually active adult Americans have been infected with HSV-2.
There is no cure for the herpes simplex virus, and treatments are aimed at treating and eliminating outbreaks. Medications used to treat the symptoms of HSV can also help lower the frequency of outbreaks.
Contract Laboratory has helped many organizations perform research and testing related to HSV such as:
- Biosafety Level BSL-2 Laboratory needed for conducting research on oncolytic viruses based on HSV1, Herpes Simplex Virus. We are looking for services for titrating how much HSV1 virus is present in our samples (e.g. plaque assays) and/or assays measuring cytopathic affect of virus in samples (CPE). We can provide cell lines for these assays if needed. If possible, we would also like to provide cancer cell lines to use for testing after titration is done in a more common cell line (e.g. vero cells).
- USA / CANADA Preclinical Virology Laboratory needed for initial proof of concept pre-clinical testing of our compound in regards to anti-viral activity against HSV-2, HSV-1 (genital herpes) and HPV (human papillomavirus). Example of the testing system: cell-based assay demonstrating ability of the compound to act as “entry inhibitor”.
- US EPA or GLP certified Virology Laboratory needed for disinfectant efficacy testing. Conduct virucidal suspension test as per EN14776 or ASTM E1053-11 method Adenovirus type 5 HSV-1 Poliovirus MERS or any available Influenza strain
- US Preclinical Contract Research Organization CRO needed for preclinical drug development to evaluate the effects of experimental topical formulation on healing of HSV 1 skin lesions using mouse flank scarification infection model
- Bioanalytical laboratory neeed for in-vitro assay testing. Must specialize in quantitative in-vitro assays for detection of HSV-2 (Herpes Simplex virus-2) in techniques like PCR or “Plaque reduction assay”
- Law firm needs forensic laboratory for DNA Testing. One sample. Test for DNA and HSV. Have dried sperm in cloth.
- and many more!
If your organization needs HSV testing or scientific research, call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit an online test request.
Originally posted 2016-10-04 16:58:22.