Today, Contract Laboratory received a request from a company for Ames Testing. The Ames test is an assay used throughout the world done using bacteria to detect chemical substances that are known to cause DNA damage resulting in gene mutations. Testing is performed on substances from chemicals to new drugs. If the test results in a positive, the substances tested is said to be mutagenic, or causes mutations. The substance may also be said to be a carcinogen as cancers are often linked to mutations of cells. Ames tests are favored over conventional carcinogen tests performed on rodents due to to their convenience and short turn around time.
Ames tests are responsible for identifying the carcinogens in DDT, flame retardant, and compounds used in hair dyes. Because DNA is made of the same molecules in every living organism, anything living can be used to test for mutations, and bacteria are a simple organism to test first. The most common bacteria used in Ames tests are strains of Salmonella typhimurium, due to the fact that is carries a defective gene that keeps it from synthesizing histidine.
Contract Laboratory has received the following test requests for Ames testing:
- Microbiology laboratory needed for performing Ames testing on 60 plant extract samples.
- FDA and NABL certified toxicology laboratory needed for cytotoxicity testing on herbal product including ames testing
- Large Industrial Bioscience Company needs pre-clinical contract research organization genotoxicology studies on substance including Ames and Chromosomal aberration studies.
- Toxicology Laboratory needed for Ames Testing of toner
- OECD GLP Environmental Toxicology Laboratory needed for Toxicology Testing Acute Oral Toxicity, AMES Test, Skin Corrosion, Skin Sensitization, In Vitro Mammalian Chromosomal Aberration Test (if AMES shows positive), In Vivo Mammalian Gene Mutation Test (if AMES shows positive); Eco-toxicological tests: Acute Fish Toxicity, Ready Biodegradability, Acute Daphnia Toxicity.and and Physicochemical tests: Physical Status, Water Solubility, Melting/Freezing Point, Boiling Point, Vapor Pressure, Octanol/Water Partition Coefficient, Density, Particle Size Distribution;
- Bioanalytical Laboratory (preferably in Mexico or California) needed for Ames Salmonella bacterial reverse mutation assays. Preferably a lab in Mexico; failing that in California.
- Asia toxicology laboratory needed for nanomaterials testing 1. AMES test 2. OECD 404 skin irritation test 3. Water column toxicity with Mysids Bahia I would appreciate getting a quote for the mentioned tests as soon as possible. Thanks Best Regards, Zahra Abyat, Product Development
- Toxicology laboratory needed for toxicology testing: three specific toxicity assays. 1) AMES II 2) Y.E.S. 3) Microtox
- Europe Preclinical Laboratory needed for toxicological assessment and genotoxicity studies for one of our active pharmaceutical ingredients (API).Structural Assessment, Hazard Evaluation and Classification, Qualification of Level present and/or Safety Testing (AMES), Risk Assessment We are currently at the first step of the process (molecular identification of the impurities in the API).
- Europe Food Laboratory needed for food toxicology testing of Larix Dahurica extract for application as a novel food – needed testing according to OECD Guidelines 471 (AMES test), 475 (in vitro chromosomal abberation assay) and optional 487 (in vivo chromosomal abberation assay).
- view more biology related test requests
If your organization needs a laboratory to perform Ames testing or other biology testing, call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit a test request online!