XRD analysis, short for x-ray diffraction analysis, is an analytical technique used for identification of crystalline material. XRD can provide information such as cell dimensions, atomic arrangement, size, phase, etc. XRD is commonly used for phase identification of bulk and thin-film samples, determining crystallite size, measuring loose powder samples, measuring residual stress in metals and ceramics, and more.
XRD is a powerful and rapid technique for identifying unknown minerals, providing definitive mineral determination. Another benefit is that there is little to no sample preparation required and the data is easy to interpret and understand, and can be performed on powder, liquid, or solids.
Contract Laboratory has received numerous requests from companies and scientific organizations needing laboratories to perform their XRD analysis, such as:
- Generic drug manufacturer needs laboratory for XRD analysis
- Metallurgical Laboratory needed for XRD on metal samples to solid (cast) form with high ferroalloy content to determine the carbides and alloy phases that gave my hardfacing materials their hardness.
- Environmental Laboratory needed for mineral analysis in soil samples: X-ray analysis, particle size analysis was carried out on each sample to separate and prepare the clay fraction for the analyses. Samples were prepared for XRD Analysis using a back loading preparation method. 10 % internal standard (fluoride) was added and the sample micronized. The micronized material was analysed by XRD utilizing a Panalytical Empyrean Diffractogrameter with PIXcel detector and fixed slits with Fe filtered CO-k alpha radiation. Phases were identified using X? Pert High score plus software. XRD analysis was used to determine the crystalline mineral phases present in the sample. The abundance of each phase (weight %) was determined by the Rietveld Refinement method. An orientation specimen was prepared from each of the samples, the head and the clay (<2um) fraction. The glass slide was glycolated, and re analysed, heated, treated and reanalysed. The process of glycolation and heat treatment made it possible to identify, the various phyllosilicates that occur in the clay fraction
- Pharmaceutical Contract laboratory needed to perform quick local turnaround for XRD analysis on Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient samples
- University Researcher needs Geochemistry laboratory for tantalite characteriaztion on (solvent extraction of niobium and tantalum from tantalite).80 Liquid samples to be characterize by ICP-OES, 30 solid samples to be characterize by XRF, SEM, XRD
- plus many more!
If your company or organization is in need of a laboratory to perform XRD analysis, submit a free XRD test requests online, or call us at 1-855-377-6821