Biomarkers, also called biological markers, are measurable indicators of a biological condition. The exact definition is “a characteristic that is objectively measured and evaluated as an indicator of normal biological processes, pathogenic processes or pharmacological responses to a therapeutic intervention.”
Biomarkers are measured to determine normal biological processes as well as to perform clinical assessments like cholesterol and blood pressure. They can also be used to predict or monitor health of individuals or across populations.
Certain characteristics make biomarkers useful when checking for conditions of certain diseases. Biomarkers should be easy to measure, follow up should be relatively inexpensive, should change with treatment, and remain consistent across gender and ethnicity.
Because biomarkers are indicators of health, an important use is to predict disease or health issues like diabetes or cancer. They have also been used to aid researchers in drug development.
Biomarkers have recently become prominent in the fight against cancer as they can help with everything from diagnosis to treatment. Assessing biomarkers in cancer has helped researchers develop new therapies to destroy cancer cells without harming healthy cells.
Biomarker Test Requests
Contract Laboratory has helped many organizations find laboratories for their biomarker testing such as:
- LONG-TERM TESTING Blood center needs bioanalytical laboratory for High-Volume complete whole blood and plasma testing of up to million samples a day including all CBC, antibody, biomarker testing, virus (including confirmatoty)
- Pharmaceutical Contract Research Organization needed for Clinical Study investigating the role of inflammation/immune activation and microbial translocation in the development of (pre-clinical) atherosclerosis in HIV infected young people The choice of desired tests/biomarkers is informed by postulated involvement of monocyte cell activation (sCD14), T cell activation (sCD38), vascular inflammation (Lp-PLA2, pentraxin 3 and hs-CRP), and microbial translocation (TMAO, LBP and EndoCarboB).
- Europe preclinical contract research organization laboratory needed for biomarker study for the diagnosis and treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease using mitochondrial dysfunction as the biological marker for diagnosis.
- Laboratory needed for blood testing for biomarkers of Hep C drugs when combined with Prozac/other prescribed drugs after death.
- Bioanalytical laboratory needed for biomarker screening of 4 pine bark extract (powder) samples
If your research organization needs a laboratory for biomarker testing or research, save time and money and let us help! Submit a test request on our website, or call us toll free at 1-855-377-6821!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter