Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) foods are created in a laboratory through genetic modification and engineering. Non-Genetically Modified Organisms (Non-GMO) foods are those that have not been genetically modified. Many concerns regarding the safety of GMOs have been raised, though no scientific evidence has proven or disproved their safety.
GMOs are organisms who have had their genetic material artificially altered through a process known as genetic engineering. This process combines genetic materials from plants, animals, bacteria, or viruses and creates organisms that are not traditionally found in nature or through crossbreeding.
Typically, genetically modified organisms have been engineered to make them resistant to insecticides and herbicides. Evolving technology is now trying to create foods and plants with more favorable traits.
The health effects of genetically modified organisms is unknown as no concrete research has been done validating the safety of the products, though more than 300 regions around the world have banned GMOs. Newer research and studies are suggesting that genetically modified organisms can be linked to health problems and environmental damage.
Around the world there are 64 countries who require genetically modified foods to be labeled as such. In the U.S. and Canada GMOs do not require labeling, though the majority of Americans believe they should be, as a large number of prepackaged foods contain ingredients derived from genetically modified crops. Though the environmental impact of GMOs isn’t completely understood, scientists think there is a link between GMOs and “superweeds” and “superbugs” which require more toxic poisons to kill. Corn, soybeans, sugar beets, alfalfa, zucchini, and others are have been genetically modified and are approved and sold in the U.S.
If you are in need of GMO or non-GMO food testing, submit a test request by calling 1-855-377-6821 or on our website. Below are a few of the recent requests we have received:
- Food Laboratory needed for full testing of rice including: GMO Testing, USDA testing, Pesticide Testing, Nutrients Analysis Testing
- Food Laboratory needed for testing and certification of Non-GMO vegetable oils which will be recognized by Canada government.
- Genetics laboratory needed for genetically modified organism testing in in finished canned food products.
- Agriculture Genetics Laboratory needed for genetically modified organism testing for cotton seed by PCR technology
- START-UP Personalcare company needs Materials laboratory for Product Safety and GMO Testing of materials in tampons to understand if material is GMO (if cotton) vs organic, and presence of toxins or pesticides.
- Agriculture Microbiology needed for Non GMO certificate testing for our product containing lactic acid bacteria, Yeast (Saccharomyces sp) and photosynthetic bacteria as a raw material.
- Corporation bringing new algae omega oil product to market needed for complete certificate of analysis testing appropriate for an ingestible nutraceutical product. We would be interested in NSF certification, vegan or American Vegetarian Association, non GMO.Testing to include Fatty Acid Profile – EPA & DHAOxidationHeavy MetalsMicrobial Analysis
- USA ISO Certified Genetics Laboratory needed for GMO Testing in pea protein chips, some raw seasoning powder (BBQ, apple Cinnamon, White Cheddar)
- Food Laboratory needed for reformulation batch testing ofcaramel candy products. Looking for batch tests to be performed based on new GMO free and organic recipe.
- Genetics Laboratory needed for genetically modified organism’s Testing of ground meat for GMO’s and ingredients
- View more food test requests
Republished by Blog Post Promoter