What are the different types of Stability Studies?
Stability studies are generally performed on pharmaceutical products, food and beverages, and beauty and cosmetic products. In addition, researchers evaluate the ingredients in each product to assess how external factors such as light, heat, humidity, temperature, stress, and more affect them, aiming to determine the influence of these factors on the drug. This testing helps determine the shelf life of the product along with storage guidelines which are imperative for consumer safety. Two common types of stability tests are real-time and accelerated.
Researchers conduct tests by storing pharmaceutical products under recommended conditions and actively checking or monitoring the product until it fails. The products undergo testing at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months during the first year, twice a year during the second year, and once a year for each subsequent year until the product no longer meets specifications and safety standards.
To conduct accelerated studies, researchers store products in fabricated environments where they accelerate different factors such as light or heat to determine the point at which the product fails. By conducting accelerated studies, one can predict degradation.
One can also perform stability testing on containers, closures, or other packaging.
Stability Studies Projects
Contract Laboratory has received many test requests from companies and organizations looking for stability testing like the following:
- Packaging laboratory needed for Plastics and Polymers testing of HDPE bottles for stack load stability testing and wall thickness.
- University research scientist needs UK laboratory for drug compound testing during stability testing of Standard mouse chow. Chow was formulated using the compound to a final concentration of 750 mg of drug per kg of chow. In order to verify and establish formulation stability, we need the drug concentration in the pellets to be measured over the period of 6 months. We need an initial measurement to be taken (starting point) and then at least 2 more measurements; at the 3-month point and the 6-month point.
- Large corporation needs materials laboratory needed for UV stability testing of HDPE: orange colored HDPE sheath in which we have to check for UV stability of that sheath & life of sheat
- Europe Product Safety laboratory needed for new cream testing for introduction into the EU and international markets including Safety assessment, stability testing, microbial contamination testing, challenge test, shelf-life prediction and any other tests deemed necessary.
- Cosmetics Laboratory needed for Cosmetics Stability Testing and Safety Assessment Tests including compatibility and challenge testing.
- Nutraceutical Laboratory requires stability testing for a vitamin packet intended for sale in a new water formulation. Company is in process of getting product into large chain store and needs stability testing.
See more stability test requests.
If you are a product manufacturer or other organization needing stability testing? Let us help you! Submit a free test request on our website or call us toll free at 1-855-377-6821.