Happy President’s Day!
On this President’s Day, Contract Laboratory thought we would feature some contributions that the Presidents of the United States have made to Science
- Thomas Jefferson – invented a clock that was powered by the Earth’s gravitational pull on cannonballs
- John Quincy Adams -developed a uniform system of weights and measures and astronomical observatory (what is now the U.S. Naval Observatory)
- Abraham Lincoln - signed a bill that created the National Academy of Science
- James Garfield – total math nerd, James Garfield developed a trapezoid proof of the Pythagorean theorem
- Theodore Roosevelt – dedicated naturalist and conservationist published ornithologist
- Franklin Roosevelt – put together a crack team that developed the world’s first atomic bomb — a scientific megaproject
- Harry Truman - he signed a bill into law that established the National Science Foundation
- Jimmy Carter – Science Degree from the U.S. Naval Academy that was trained as an engineer, he founded the U.S. Department of Energy
In the USA, a disease is considered rare when it affects fewer than 200,000 people at any given time. According to Orphanet, there are 6,000-7,000 rare diseases worldwide and less than 5% have any treatment. About 80% of these rare diseases have genetic origins while others result from bacterial or viral infections, allergies, or environmental causes, or are degenerative and proliferative. In total these illnesses affect an estimated 25 million people in the United States, half of them children.
The goals of Rare Disease Day include supporting and developing research for diagnostics and treatment, create dialogue among researchers, patients, policymakers, and the public, advance research and therapeutic efforts, and to bring a face to rare diseases through sharing patient stories with communities.
The National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, or NCATS, is dedicated to getting “more treatments to more patients more quickly.” NCATS studies rare diseases through collaborative projects and looking at commonalities and molecular causes of the diseases in hopes of finding treatments or speeding up the development of treatments for both rare and common diseases.
If your organization is looking for scientific research or testing regarding rare diseases, we can help! Call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit a test request online.
Riboprinting is a tool that produces reproducible results and is used to help study variances in microorganisms, most commonly bacteria. Riboprinting helps to characterize these microorganisms and also has the ability to track sources of contamination.
Using genetic information to detect, identify and even track environmental isolates, pathogens, and more, it provides what scientists call a genetic snapshot of an organism. The automated process reduces the need for operator training which minimizes the potential for error.
- Bacterial Identification with RiboPrinter
- Large Multinational Consumer Products Company needs India Microbiology Laboratory for Bacterial culture Identification Testing. Identification of Unknown Bacterial cultures using API identification or Riboprinting
- view more test requests
Contract Laboratory is always ready to help you obtain the necessary laboratory research or testing your organization needs, call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit a request online!
In April of 2017, the House Agriculture Committee decided to take steps to address the increased occurrence of adulterated or fraudulently labeled olive oil that is imported into the United States.
The main reason for the decision to begin testing imported olive oil is the concern for public health, as many olive oils actually contain seed oils that can be potentially dangerous or hazardous to consumers who may have allergies.
The committee now requires sampling of all imported andoils to verify their purity and ensure they are unadulterated and not misbranded.
- Food laboratory needed for thc content and shelf-life testing of coconut oil and olive oil
- Laboratory needed for Heavy Metals testing in an oil matrix. Specifically MCT and Olive oil.It should detect As, Cd, Pb, and Hg. Each should be quantifiable to no less than 1 ppm. Pb should be quantifiable to ~0.05 ppm. The uncertainty value should be relatively small.
- Small producer of olive oil needs laboratory for testing required to sell in in Guatemala
- Food Laboratory needed for contaminant testing in OLIVE OIL
- Law firm needs United States Food Laboratory for olive oil Testing
- and many more!
If you or your organization are in need of a laboratory to perform purity testing of olive oil, call us at 1-855-377-6821, or submit an olive oil test request online!
The FDA’s Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) is the manual of laboratory procedures and standards used to detect pathogens in food and cosmetic.
The FDA is responsible for setting standards regarding food and cosmetic testing for pathogens. Companies and laboratories around the world use the standards set in the BAM to ensure their products are quality and safe.
A complete BAM is available online to the public and is updated as needed. The multi-chapter manual contains standards regarding food sampling and preparation, the microscopic examination of foods, investigating food related illnesses, as well as standards regarding specific pathogens such as salmonella, listeria, yeasts, molds, and more.
If your organization needs microbiological food or cosmetic testing laboratory testing, call Contract Laboratory at 1-855-377-6821, or submit a test request online.
ContractLaboratory.com – The Laboratory Outsourcing Network! received a request from an engineering firm for ASTM & IEC Testing of ground enhancing compound to IEC 62561. IEC is the International Electrotechnical Commission. This is an organization which publishes standards such as IEC 62561, Lightning protection system components. This company needed testing to show compliance to this standard as well as additional testing such as
1. Leaching test – Based on EN12457 – 2 Part 2 and EN – 12506
2. Sulfur test – Based on ISO 4689-3 : 2004
3. Determination of resistivity : ASTM G57-06
4. Corrosion test – Based on LPR method (Linear Polarization Resistance Method)
Does your company need ASTM or IEC Testing? We would be happy to help. Call us at 1-855-377-6821 to discuss your IEC Testing Projects or submit a IEC Testing Request
Sterility assurance level, or SAL, is the chance that although something has been through the process of sterilization there is still the potential the item is nonsterile as it is impossible to prove that every harmful organism has been destroyed. Sterility assurance level is a way of expressing the probability of a microorganism’s survival. The more effective the sterilization process, the lower the SAL.
Sterility of a product is determined by the probability of a microorganism on the product after it has been sterilized and is expressed as 10-n. A value between 10-3 and 10-6 is considered normal and most frequent. A lower SAL provides a greater assurance of sterility.
A sterilization process resulting in a SAL of 10-6 is used for any medical devices or products that are intended to come in contact with open skin or otherwise compromised tissues, for invasive products that will encounter tissues that are normally sterile, devices tha
t are to be surgically implanted, and for any product with claims of sterile fluid pathways.
Contract Laboratory has received the following test requests regarding sterility assurance level:
- Analytical Chemistry laboratory needed for medical devices – 501k Submission testing: Cytotoxicity Sensitization Irritation Ames Mutagencity Product Sterility for final package (3 year expiry) Gamma Irradiation Testing – radiation dose, sterility validation method, sterility assurance level
- Canada microbiology laboratory needed for pharmaceutical sterilization validation and Sterility assurance testing
- FDA GLP GMP Contract Pharmaceutical laboratory needed for GMP Testing: analytical chemistry testing, microbiology testing, sterility assurance testing, and biocompatibility testing stability testing microbiology testing
- FDA GMP, GLP Laboratory needed for ASTM and ISO Biocompatibilty Testing, Sterility Assurance Testing and Packaging Integrity Testing for disposable medical device
- or view all sterility test requests
If your organization is in need of a laboratory to perform sterility testing, call us at 1-855-377-6821 or submit a sterility test request online.
Microbiology is the study of living organisms too small to be seen by the naked eye, like bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa and algae, also known as microbes. Microbes play important roles in food, bodily functions, biodegradation, control of disease, and even biotechnology. The study of microbes has helped develop antibiotics and other drugs, biofuels, and in the production of food.
Many microbes are found in and on the body and are called resident bacteria and are not harmful, but actually aid in protecting you from potentially harmful bacteria.
Pathogens are disease causing microbes, and sometimes require antibiotics to fight the pathogen. Antibiotics work by damaging proteins, the cell wall, or other cellular structure. One downside of using antibiotics is that they often can’t tell the difference between helpful and harmful bacteria which can lead to unpleasant side effects, in addition to clearing the infection.
Contract Laboratory has helped facilitate the following microbiology test requests:
- Veterinary Medicine company needs pharmaceutical microbiology laboratory needed for microbe specific efficacy testing of a newly developed therapeutic against Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, Malassezia and Candida spp.
- Microbiology laboratory needed for yeast testing for humidity, lifting force, and maltase activity.
- LONG TERM TESTING FDA cGMP microbiology laboratory needed for USP water testing of water for injection based on USP monograph for Sterile Water for Injection and the European Pharmacopeia (Ph. Eur.) monographs for Water for Injections in bulks and sterilized Water for Injections. Also need extractable volume and uniform volume.
- Medical Device laboratory needed for ASTM and ISO product safety testing for evaluation of medical devices including toxicology, packaging and microbiology testing
- Microbiology laboratory needed for testing microbial content of grape seed extract capsules. The following information is needed: aerobic microbial content, total combined yeast and mold content, enterobacteria count, escherichia coli count, salmonella count, and staphylococcus aureus count.
- and more
If you are in need of a laboratory to perform microbiology testing or research, call us at 1-855-377-6821, or by submitting an online test request.
Within the past 30 days of January 2017, there have been 12 US Food and Drug Administration FDA recalls for undeclared milk on food labeling. The food products ranged from carrot cupcakes, potato chips, romaine salad, and chocolate chip cookies. While there were small food manufacturers, there were also large food companies such as Thomas Hammer Coffee and Fred Meyers Stores.
Food allergies are a growing concern in food safety with an estimated 4-6% of children having a food allergy. Eight food groups account for 90% of serious allergic reactions: milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, wheat, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts.Food allergy reactions can be severe and life threatening which is why it is important for food manufacturers, distributors and retailers to ensure that all ingredients are declared on food labeling.
ContractLaboratory.com has helped many food manufacturers, distributors and retailers with the outsourcing of milk testing projects to ensure compliance with FDA food labeling requirements. Below are some examples of milk testing projects:
- Packaging/container company needs laboratory to test the breakdown of poly-lined containers for milk and similar consumables by means of hydrochloric acid or nitric acid.
- Food analytical chemistry laboratory needed for sugar content for chocolate milk
- Large dairy company needs Europe food laboratory needed for lead testing in milk
- Food laboratory needed for nutritional testing for kefir nutrition label. Kefir is made up of one ingredient and that is milk (cow or goat). The process is fermentation.
- Food analytical chemistry laboratory needed for osmolality testing of milk replacer
Food Laboratory needed for a product development project to develop and produce milk made from sesame seeds (developing and customizing formulation), with all the high quality control standards needed including requesting including labeling and regulatory guidelines set out by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Everything under a confidentiality agreement.
- Bioanalytical Laboratory needed for Analysis of recombinant bovine somatotropin in Ultra-High Processed UHT milk and possibly other dairy products
- Europe food laboratory needed for nutritional labeling testing and food research study on melatonin levels on milk powder that have been milked during different times at night to find out the melatonin levels. After that, the one with the highest level like to order a full Nutrition Facts Label if possible.
- Food analytical chemistry laboratory needed for milk testing: Heavy metals residue tests of processed milk for lead, mercury, aluminum
- LONG-TERM TESTING: USDA Food Laboratory needed for ice cream testing (microbiology and nutritional) for import license. Testing needed is for Milk Solid Non Fat content, Milk Fat Content and Sugar content of 6 x SKU’s of ice cream for an import license. This is immediate as well as ongoing for each shipment we send. We regularly perform APC, as well as a requirement for Staph and Coliforms + a count of strains of probiotics added to our ice cream
- Food bioanalytical laboratory needed to measure non protein nitrogen levels in milk/whey samples. There is less than 2% NPN ( including urea) but we need accurate measurement.
- Food Laboratory needed for testing about a dozen different processed/unprocessed foods for anything pcbs, heavy metals, toxins, pesticides, Various protein powders Vitamin C supplement Digestive Enzymes Nanogreens Chlorella tablet Butter Eggs Breast milk (if possible) Will also ask for a thorough description of results
- Small farm needs microbiology laboratory for goat milk testing for brucelosis or any other bacterias or virus
- Food microbiology laboratory needed for microbial testing of milk sweets TPC, TFC and Yeast and mold studies
- North America Food Bioanalytical laboratory needed for milk analyses for Galacto-oligosaccharides to well-recognized method like AOAC
MORE MILK TESTING PROJECTS
And many more milk testing projects that ContractLaboratory.com has helped dairy farms, food manufacturers, restaurants and retailers. View Milk Testing Requests
NEED MILK TESTING ?
Are you a dairy farm, food manufacturer, restaurant or retailer that needs a food laboratory for milk testing or other food labeling testing? Call us toll-free at 1-855-377-6821 or Submit Milk Testing Requests
Ensure Seafood Safety
From succulent shrimp cocktail, steamed maine lobster, baked oyster rockefeller to poached salmon, seafood is recommended for healthy eating and cooking. However, it can contain harmful substances like heavy metals. Today, the US Food and Drug Administration FDA & US Environmental Protection Agency EPA issued final fish consumption advice. This new FDA seafood consumption advice shows the importance for seafood testing. The EPA and FDA advice includes a chart that makes it easier to choose from dozens of healthy and safe seafood options.
ContractLaboratory.com routinely helps restaurants, fisheries, and food manufacturers with their seafood safety testing. Below are some examples of projects in which ContractLaboratory.com helped with seafood testing:
- Food laboratory needed for seafood testing for biogenic amines
- Food laboratory needed for various seafood testing: Heavy Metal and chemical testing of Chinese Sauce with following ingredients (Dried Shrimp, Dried Scallop and Dried Jewfish) with specific request of detection limit, please send us the information (Quotation, TAT, detection limit, sample size, Standard, testing method, etc.) Dried Shrimp i. Mercury: < 0.5ppm Dried Scallop i. Mercury: < 0.5ppm ii. Paralytic Shellfish Poison (PSP) < 80 µg/100 g iii. Amnesic Shellfish Poison (ASP) < 20 µg/g iv. Diarrhetic Shellfish Poison (DSP) < 0.2 µg /g Dried Jewfish i. Mercury ii. Histamine < 20 mg / 100 g
- URGENT USA FDA GMP Compliant Food Laboratory needed for FDA seafood testing for full reporting package for FDA, not just a one page Certificate of Analysis.
- Independent food testing laboratory needed for cadmium testing services of imported shellfish, fresh live oysters from Canada to Hong Kong for import clearance by Canadian Health Certificate by CFIA needed for HK importation even though we have spoken to the local HK health department
- Canada Food Laboratory needed for seafood Testing of two seafood products one is Lightly Salted Matjes Herring Fillets in Oil which come in a plastic pouch and the other is a bottled product that is marinated in vinegar. Both are small sizes 250 g I believe. And both are refrigerated. Please provide me a breakdown for the testing we require as well as the quantities that would e required for each test. 1) water activity, 2) PH Level, 3) Histamines, 4) Microbiological testing including, Salmonella app., Staph. aureus, L. mono. and E. coli. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
- USA Food laboratory needed for seafood testing: PDCAAS protein test to get the % DV for protein for seafood
- East Coast USA Food Laboratory needed for shelf-life testing of frozen seafood after thawing.
- Analytical Chemistry Food Laboratory needed for Hydrocarbons testing on frozen seafood, to trace whether product has been treated with carbon monoxide or tasteless wood smoke.
- Food analytical chemistry laboratory needed to test cocentrations of phenolic compounds in smoked seafood
- Seafood Manufacturer needs Food Analytical chemistry testing laboratory for testing an unknown substance on salmon. We are having an unknown material show up on our salmon line. Recently pieces of salmon go through a grill marker and come out with pieces of an unknown black material which then set off the metal detector. We would like an analysis of the black material to find out what is in it, specifically if there are any hard metals in it. The grill marker is made of rings of stainless steel which are heated to glowing red and then they sear grill lines into the frozen salmon portions.
VIEW MORE FOOD TESTING PROJECTS
And many more. View additional seafood and food testing and scientific research projects View Food Test Requests
NEED SEAFOOD TESTING?
Are you a fishery, food manufacturer or restaurant that needs aFDA cGMP food safety laboratories for seafood safety testing? Call us at 1-855-377-6821 or Submit Seafood Test Request
Read the full news http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm537362.htm