AAFCO is the the Association of American Feed Control Officials. This association is made up of local, state, and federal agencies who set regulations relating to animal feed and animal drug products. Because the AAFCO is a private association, they have no authority to regulate the industry only to set voluntary standards, though they do try to protecting human and animal health, protecting the consumer, and ensuring a level playing field for the animal feed industry. The association is responsible for implementing laws, standards, and regulations that relate to manufacturing, labeling, distributing, and selling animal feed. Standards set by AAFCO have been adopted into law in some states as a means of further protecting buyers and their pets.
One of the biggest regulations AAFCO has created is that of determining a “balanced diet” for pets. An easy way to understand if a bag of feed meets an animals nutritional needs is to look at the nutritional adequacy statement for the phrase, “complete and balanced”. For a pet food to be complete and balanced it must pass an AAFCO feeding trial, or meet a dog or cat food nutritional profile established by the association.
Additionally, AAFCO creates regulations for feeding protocols. Requirements include: using a minimum of 8 dogs in the study, only testing one food formulation and using it as the main source of nutrition, and ensuring the study lasts 26 weeks. During a feeding trial food consumption is measured and recorded as well as body weight, hemoglobin, packed cell volume, serum alkaline phosphatase, and serum albumin.
Looking for a laboratory to ensure your product meets AAFCO guidelines and regulations? Submit a request on our website or by calling toll free 1-855-377-6821.
AAFCO & Other Pet Food Test Requests
- Food Laboratory needed for AAFCO full panel Pet food analysis for both dog and cat food. Food is either raw or cooked
- Full Pet Food analysis (AAFCO Cat food nutrient profile): Crude protein, fat, moisture, fiber, ash, minerals, vitamins, Amino acids. Please keep my contact information confidential. Lab needed for full AFFCO Cat food nutrient profile analysis of raw pet food products. Need to test for: Moisture,Crude Protein,Acid Hydrolysis Fat,Ash,Crude Fiber,Iron,Sodium,Potassium,Calcium,Phosphorus,Magnesium,Manganese,Copper,Zinc,Chloride,Iodine,,Selenium ,Amino Acid Profile, Taurine,Fatty Acid Profile,Vitamin A (Retinol),Vitamin B1 (Thiamine),Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin),Vitamin B3 (Niacin),Vitamin B4 (Choline Chloride),Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid),Vitamin B6(Pyridoxine),Vitamin B7 (Biotin),Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid),Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin),Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), Vitamin E , VIt K
- Ohio Laboratory needed for AAFCO Pet Food Testing: Independent quantitative analysis of each dog food ingredient
- RGENT Pet food company needs FDA GMP laboratory needed for Amantadine testing in dried dog treats
- Food Laboratory needed for pet food testing: quality and analysis of dry pet food which is being manufactured in uk and imported to india.
- Vet group needs Pet food laboratory for confirmatory pet raw food testing of meat mixture.
- Large Pet Food Manufacturer needs Food Laboratory needed for dioxins & PCBs testing for a palm fatty acid
- View more pet food test requests