Last month, ASTM released a new international standard with requirements for portable bed rails and accessories. The standard (F3186) addresses issues relating to openings and attachments to beds in hopes of reducing the chances of entrapment, injury, strangulation, and death. The standard was created by the consumer products panel and is applicable to any manufacturer or person who buys bed rails as it outlines the safe design. A portable bed rail is one that can be attached or installed to prevent a person from falling out of bed.
Manufacturers and importers of portable bed rails must ensure their products are in compliance with this new standard, including labeling requirements, as well as additional requirements such as sharp edges, small parts, warning labels, etc., set forth by the Consumer Product Safety Commission by having their products tested by a third party laboratory.
Portable bed rail requirements specify that they must not create a gap between them and the mattress and that they cannot be assembled unsafely. Additionally, the rails are required to have warning labels and any component parts like anchors and straps must be securely attached to the bed rail.
Do you need a third party laboratory to test portable bed rails of other consumer products? Let us save you time and money searching for a laboratory! Submit a product test request on our website or by calling us at 1-855-377-6821 today!
To see how we have helped other companies and manufacturers of consumer products, here are a few of the test requests we have recently received and helped facilitate:
- Consumer Products laboratory needed for soft toy safety testing to ensure it meets the safety standards for Canada and USA
- Consumer products laboratory needed for wash testing done on 3 sets of microfiber sheets (all king sizes. fitted, flat and pillowcases). We mainly need to look for: color change, pilling, tearing, wrinkling, and shrinkage.
- Consumer Products laboratory needed for compliance testing of toy tricycles to IS 9873 Part 1 2 3 9 for tricycles imported from Asia.
- Large consumer products company needs laboratory for ASHRAE compliance testing to ASHRAE 145.2-2011, Laboratory Test Method for Assessing the Performance of Gas-Phase Air Cleaning Systems: Air Cleaning Devices. Laboratory must have the ability to test low concentration formaldehyde challenge in standard.
- FDA consumer products laboratory needed for testing broad spectrum sunscreen for FDA compliance.
- Consumer Products Laboratory with ISO 17025 accreditation needed for Consumer Panel testing for child resistant packaging for lighters to 16 CFR 1210
- NELAC certified laboratory needed to perform 1,4-dioxane analysis on liquid soap consumer products by headspace-GC-MS
- Consumer Products laboratory needed for customized testing of home appliances with the usage of Fabric Softener Sheet (Dryer Sheet) in cloth dryer. The company must have experience and be able to measure temperature increase in dryers’s vent while using a dryer sheet (that would be clogging a dryer vent).
- Consumer Products performance laboratory needed to measure the Clothing and Thermal Insulation (CLO) value on synthetic thermal insulated pillows
- Consumer Products laboratory needed for efficacy study of a natural insect repellent for how effectiveness and duration of action.
- view more