Made mainly of oils, water, and peptides, cosmetic are an ideal medium for the growth of bacteria, yeast, mold, and fungus. To prevent the growth of microbes, preservatives are added to many cosmetics and personal care products, including those made of natural ingredients, to maintain the products’ integrity and inhibit the bacteria and fungus growth and prevent the product from spoiling.
Cosmetics preservatives are added to ensure the longevity and safety of the product as well as safety of the user. Contamination by microorganisms can cause skin irritations, infections, or sensitivities. A few common preservatives include:
- Benzylalcohol – fights gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria and inhibits growth of yeast and mold
- Tetrasodium EDTA – improves efficacy of other preservatives
- Parabens – inhibit fungal growth
- Formaldahyde releasers – fights bacteria
- Phenoxyethanol – gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, yeast, mold, inhibitor
- Germall Plus – fights yeast and mold
- Organic acids – effective in fighting fungi and bacteria
Contract Laboratory often receives test requests for testing cosmetic, beauty and other personal care products. The following are recent test requests we have received:
- Cosmetics company needed for reverse engineering and formulation of skincare product.
- Cosmetics company needs analytical chemistry laboratory needed for Deformulation Testing of Lip Balm to know the percentage of each ingredient in the product.
- Toxicology Laboratory needed for cosmetics packaging testing to The Toxics in Packaging Clearinghouse (TPCH) TPCH testing on cosmetic products
- Laboratory needed for study to determine the efficient method for determining amount of residual alcohol left over after sanitizing metal mixing equipment.
- Cosmetics laboratory needed for product development of dye used in eye makeup
- China or Hong Kong laboratory needed for lipgloss testing to meet FDA requirements prior to importing to the USA.
- Media company needs cosmetics analytical chemistry labroatory for gold testing for % of Gold in face cream
- View more
Need cosmetics testing? Submit a Laboratory Test Request by calling us at 1-855-377-6821 or online HERE.
Originally posted 2016-09-22 19:40:39.